11/20/2015

Return to Pain Management - Shots and Meds

This past week, I returned to my pain management doctor. I was terrified. Due to a mental health condition that I have, the psychologist who did the pre-screening told me that I am automatically a moderate risk for being prescribed opioid pain prescriptions. The fact that I have been stable for 13 years and have no history of drug abuse or addiction does not play a factor into this.  As I've mentioned in my previous posts, I've tried everything I can to manage my severe pain. Sometimes the traditional treatments help, but when the pain is at its worse, nothing helps me have relief except for opioids. I was terrified when he told me this.

I asked both my psychiatrist and my pain  management doctor if that was true and if it meant they wouldn't treat me with opioids. They both told me, in many cases, doctors will not. So, if I had cancer, would they not? I understand each patient must be pre-screened by law, but it seems cruel and scary to me that they would deny medication to someone who really needs it. (Due to my health condition, I also can't take oral steroids.) Isn't the whole point of a pain management doctor to monitor your medication and safely wean you off of them when you don't need them? Research has shown that people who suffer from chronic pain have shorter life-spans and are at higher risk for suicide. I was so afraid. I prayed and asked others to pray for me that I would receive the treatment I need. I don't know how I could survive without it.

God answered my prayers. The doctor looked at my pre-screening evaluation and agreed to treat me. I explained to him everything I try to do before I reach for that bottle. I told him I'm scared to death of dependency and he said, "Good! You should be!"  Even though they didn't ask for it, I took my bottle of medication in and asked them to PLEASE count it! I wanted them to see that I am NOT abusing my medication. Let there be no doubt! I've been on them for 5 months now and so far, no problems. I don't care if they want to count my pills and drug test me every month. People who suffer from severe pain will do almost anything or relief. (For me, I mean anything within reason.) But, I am still very cautious with those pain pills. They scare me.

My pain varies from day to day. I'm learning that the stupid weather can make the inflammation worse when it gets cold. In Tennessee, the weather is psychotic. Seriously. The past two weeks, we've had a freeze warning and temperatures in the low 70s in the same week! Those days when the weather is nutso, it hurts. And, just found out, that is typical for people with symptomatic TCs. Great! Another variable to add to my pain! YAY!

Piriformis Muscle
My TCs are pressing on the nerves that trigger my piriformis muscle when it's not supposed to. This  has caused that muscle to become rock hard and cause a lot of pain. The pain also radiates down my leg. At my last visit, I asked the PM Dr. if there were any kinds of injections he could do into the muscle that might help. YES! Yesterday I had steroid (depomedrol) injections all the way down the piriformis in my right side. When I woke up, the pain was GONE from the lidocaine that was also in the injection. I immediately noticed how much my left side hurt. I'm sure this was because I didn't realize it before and was noticing the worst source of the pain. It's only been 2 days, but so far there seems to be a difference and I'm optimistic. But, the weather hasn't been going crazy either. So, Piriformis injection effectiveness - TBD. I'll update this post later and let you know.

The doctor made two changes to my medications. He switched me from Zipsor (Diclofenac) to Celebrex (Both NSAIDS). Lots of different factors playing into this short time, but I've noticed a change in the past two days and have had to take less pain medication. He also switched my pain medication from Norco to Nucynta. This drug isn't out in generic yet. My insurance covers it, but it's still $100! It's crazy expensive. But, in lieu of the Norco, I have taken it and it worked even better at the smallest dose. Weather? Meds? Injections? All TBD. But, thank you God for allowing the Dr. to treat me with the medication I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment