12/31/2015

How Do you Handle Difficult Seasons - Part 4, God keeps performing miracles!

This is continuation of my series on Handling Difficult Situations. For Part 3 click here.

“I have the strength within me to get through this.”
– FALSE.

"It's not what happens to you. It's what you do with what happens to you.” - Coach Phillip Fulmer

“God is more concerned about what is happening in me than what is happening to me.” – Christopher R. Bear

Like players on a football field, we are going to get knocked down in life. We can count on it! Who will lift us up? The foundation you have built for yourself, the people in your support system, and where you look for your strength answers the question. Some people believe their strength comes from within. Many people claim the power within their inner-self is enough to overcome life’s challenges and if you can’t find it, you need to search harder. I can make personal choices on how to approach a situation mentally, choosing to focus on positive thoughts. Not gonna lie. In past situations, I’ve tried to face rough patches on my own, through my own strength, without admitting that I do need God’s help. It didn’t work out for me. I would feel guilty that I was not tough enough to deal with things on my own. I felt weak, helpless and lost. I would turn to other people to help me, but often times, it wasn’t enough. For me personally, I can say, when life sucks, the most effective way I’ve dealt with difficult times has been when I’ve relied on a power that comes from something greater than myself. I know there will be times in life when I cannot stand alone. I will need the help and support of others God has put in my path and I will have to for my strength and hope to come from God. My belief and relationship with God gives me hope and access to a power that can accomplish anything. I cannot imagine going through something like with without my faith in God to carry me through.

I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

I’m the type that likes to have a plan for everything. Having a plan gives me a sense of security and control over a situation. But, when my plan-train jumps off of the tracks, I freak out. Fear of the unknowns and “what-ifs” can eat me alive. I start to think of all of the things that could potentially happen and try to come up with plans for non-existent problems. In other words, I worry. I feel lost when I don’t know what is next. My comfortable sense of security and control goes out the window. When I get to that point, I’m reminded that I am not in control of the world around me. But, I remember I have access to a higher power that can see me through that has overcome the world, who gives in ways the world cannot.

Guess what? God has recently done something AGAIN that is greater that I could ever imagine or know to ask for. Through one of the online Tarlov Cyst support groups, I began to develop strong relationships with three Christian women. We have prayed, encouraged, and supported each other through this horrible disease and process months before we had our initial consultations with the neurosurgeon in Dallas. Our appointments were weeks and months apart. Surgery is usually scheduled based on your consultation date. For example, there were 23 people ahead of me.

At first, I found out one friend in Jacksonville was going to be having surgery the day before me. She is two years younger than me with two young girls. We were so excited to know we wouldn't be alone and would have a friend there. But, the blessings didn’t stop there. Another who is a part of our close circle has been like a mother-figure to me and told me. She lives in South Florida and called me a few weeks ago and said, "You won't believe when my surgery date is. The 13th." I thought she was pulling my leg. "No, seriously, it's the 13th!" That is the SAME day as mine! So, that to me was God putting the whipped cream and the cherry on top. But, He didn't stop there!! We are also very close to other sweet lady in Phoenix Arizona. She began to have complications with her cysts due to a botched procedure and she needs surgery ASAP. We prayed for her. Guess when her surgery is? The 11th! We are all going to be in the hospital at the same time!!! Guess what else? There are MANY hotels in the area. But, we are all going to be in the same hotel together for 10 days!!!! There will even be another lady there from my home state of Tennessee too! This is God continuing to show me, "I am going to take care of you. I am going to show you, I can beat all odds and nothing is too great for me. I love you and am going to give you blessings beyond what you could ever imagine or even know to ask for." He did just that!!! The odds of that happening were so rare, I didn't even ask for that because it would be nearly impossible for us all to be there with all of the ladies I am so close to. He not only put the whipped cream and cherry on top but he added the sprinkles too!!! I'm so excited I get to meet this group of women. We have all been so close to each other. I'm flabbergasted. We all are. God is good. He is faithful and always provides for those who trust in Him.

My main concern about flying to Dallas was that we would be alone. My mother has been through every major life event I've had and I just couldn't imagine going through this without her there. She has always been my best friend, my encourager, my spiritual adviser, the one I go to for wisdom and advice. But there was no way my parents could make the trip and take care of the boys too. I didn't know if I could go through this without her there beside me. But, God took care of that for me too. He put these women in my life and is going to take care of that need for me. We will be there among friends. Not just any friends, but strong women of faith who can fulfill the same roles that I seek from my mother.


How do you approach life? Is it about what you can get out of it or about giving to something greater than yourself? I’ll be honest. I’m guilty of the first. I can’t see beyond my own circumstances sometimes. But, things work out better when I ask God how He wants to use me for His greater purpose instead of mine. Who will lift you up when you fall? What are you going to do when the bad seasons hit? This year, my New Years Resolution is to remember to turn to God when things get rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment