10/25/2015

What Will Life Be Like While I’m Recovering from Surgery?

The first 24 hours after surgery, I will have to lay catheterized flat on my back and not get out of bed. After that, they will gradually raise the head of my bed 15% per hour. I will stay in the hospital 3-4 days then have to stay in Dallas for a week for a follow up and to make sure I’m ok and approved for travel. During that week, it’s going to be very hard on Michael (even though he won’t say so because he truly believes he is invincible) because he will have to be with me 24/7 to assist me. I’m so thankful that I have friends in Dallas who have said they will come help and give Michael breaks. We plan to rent a hotel that has a full kitchen so we don’t have to order or pick up food for every meal. Please pray that God will give him strength while we are in Dallas and he has to take care of me.
I will have to have handicap assistance in a wheel chair when flying down and back home. My ego doesn’t want to on the way down, but that’s what everyone who has been in my shoes is telling me I need to do. After my first experience making the trip, I can see why. We plan to return first class to make travel more comfortable. Also, going to try to fly into DFW instead of Love Field because they have a direct flight from Knoxville. DFW is a little further away, but it will be worth it.

There are strict limitations post-op and it will be 5 months minimum before I can lift or carry Jackson. Can’t lift a gallon of milk the first month. Will be in bed most of the time. Can’t drive. Can’t bend or twist. “Normal” life will not be returning anytime in the near future. I will have to stay off of my feet and try to walk several intervals during the day. This is going to put a strain on Michael and my parents for several months because I will have to have someone with me all the time. It already has been difficult for the past several months because Jackson has had to live with my parents except weekends. This has been heartbreaking for us, but Jackson is relatively content because he loves his Gram and Pawpaw. They are like second parents to him and of course spoil him rotten. He’s happy but I still worry if this is scarring my children.  Michael has to carry the burden of being Mom and Dad, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, taking care of me, and EVERYTHING. He has been my rock through this. He IS superman, only he only wears his cape when he is home. I am extremely blessed and thank God for him every day. He is amazing, giving, caring, nurturing, understanding and despite the stress, he has never complained once. The wonderful man cooks meals and brings them to me in bed. I haven’t been able to eat dinner with the family in months. Sitting is painful. Please pray for my sweet husband, my wonderful parents and dear Conner and Jackson.

Mom will have to stay with us at home for at least 5 weeks to take care of me and the kids while Michael is at work. As you know, they are in their 70s and it’s not easy for them either. I’m more worried about them than myself. We are so blessed that they are in good health and are close by to help us.

Most patients have to use a walker for several weeks to get around. (Some don’t though!) I will have to have handicap parking when I am finally able to go out. My other TC friends have told me I’ll need a scooter at Wal-mart. HA! I think I will need to make a T-shirt for that. Maybe, “Yes, I really do need the scooter!” on the back and “Just cause you can’t see it, don’t mean it isn’t there!” on the front?

Post-op, Dr. F will coordinate with my PCP and my pain clinic. I will have remote follow-ups with MRI’s. If there are any complications that develop after I get home, I will have to fly back to Dallas. But, that is very rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment