5/28/2018

Soul Cysters Brought Together!

I have left so many great stories out of my journey while I was having a difficult time focusing and being on a computer. One of these is that God continues to bless me during this journey and physically unite me with the Christian Cysters He placed in my path.

Lisa W and Me
From the initial onset of my disease, I had become friends with Lisa W, from Louisiana. From the get go, she was one of those people who God used to encourage me. He spoke to me often through her. I recently told her this and she said she didn't even know. I would have times where I was down or having doubts. From the first time I joined her support group on Facebook, she contacted me to let me know I was not alone and that she was always available if I ever needed to talk. Sometimes I would be scared. She would call me, not knowing what my thoughts were, and would say the perfect thing that was exactly what I needed to hear. She would share a Bible verse with me, and I would be blown away because it would specifically address whatever was going on inside of me.  Her mother also has TCD and had surgery with Dr. F as well. Both are women of strong faith and encouraged me many times.

Me and God's Miracle Worker (Reta)
Reta Honey Hiers, Executive President of the Tarlov Cyst Foundation was another person God put in my path early on. I was so thankful to have her in my life because, not only was she a wealth of knowledge and a great support, but God also used her to point me in the right direction. The fact that we connected when we did was another sign of God's perfect timing. If I ever had any questions, she had the answers. The woman has found God's purpose in her life and I am so thankful that she has answered His calling. I could share my spiritual victories with her and she would celebrate too. She prayed for me. She encouraged me with scripture. She was another rock to me.

Lisa called me up and let me know that her Dad had a work conference in Knoxville and they were going to tag along. Since Reta also lives here too, we all decided to meet up for the very first time. These ladies who I had spoken to for years on the phone and had spoken to each other, were going to meet and celebrate face to face. Lisa, Jeannie and I all had fully recovered and were off of our medications. It was inspiring to see Reta persevere and be active despite dealing with this disease.

L to R: Jeannie W, Kay B, Lisa W, Natalie (me) and Reta Honey Hiers
We had the most fantastic lunch together. We talked for 3 hours! Another blessing is that there is another nice lady, Kay, here in Knoxville who also has Tarlov Cyst Disease and is contemplating her options. It was great to meet her as well and I hope that Lisa, her Mom Jeannie and my success stories encouraged her. It is not always a clear choice to have surgical treatment and I know God will lead her to make the decision that is right for her. But, there is life after Tarlov Cyst Surgery!  (And you don't hear about it on Facebook because...why? We're all too darn happy, having fun and catching up on missed time to be on Facebook as we were before.) It was such a happy day for all of us. We share a common bond that is unbreakable.


Mama E and Me
Last July of 2017, when my family and I traveled to Orlando to visit his mother, we were able to visit Earline and Paul. (Earline had surgery the same day I did. That was so great to see her! Of course my kids took instantly to them and have been asking when we can see them again! We also got to stop by and see Susan and meet each other's children! I know we will continue to see each other more in the future.

I can't emphasize enough the difference that other cysters and mysters can have in your life with TCD. We share a rare bond and face great challenges that most other people, let alone doctors, cannot understand. It's a disease is unlike any other. The support and encouragement from other TCers is so important because we know what it's like to suffer from chronic pain that's more than just a herniated disc or a joint replacement. We know the frustrations of having our symptoms rejected by the medical community. We know the huge difference between "back surgery" and "spinal nerve surgery." We know what it's like to have this disease rob us of our lives and the strain it puts on families and relationships. Through the experiences of others, we can learn what it's like pre-surgery, post-op, recovering and beyond. We can reassure each other that "Yes, I am experiencing that too. No, you aren't crazy. Wait! I'm not crazy!? Well, yeah. I'm still a little bit crazy but, it's not in your head!" I made it through this from my faith in God, prayers from others, my support system and the other cysters. It also gave me a sense of purpose to comfort those who were where I had been.

Catching up with my girl, Suzie Q!
I felt like this was God coming full circle reminding me, "I brought you together for a reason. SEE! I love you and want to bless you beyond what you can imagine would be possible!" But, it's like it says in Ephesians 3:20, Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us. Again, I never would have imagined we would have all been able to sit at the same table together sippin' on our waters with lemon! More icing on the cake from The Man with a plan who can do anything! Thanks be to God! He is good!




1 comment: